Greek Islands Travel Planning is the summary of my three-week road trip to three Greek islands during the summer of 2016 (July). The pace of traveling was slow and flexible. I could go and stay wherever I wanted with my car.
Greek Islands Travel Planning – General Planning
My travel planning for the Greek Islands of Thasos, Lemnos, and Samothraki started somewhere around one month before the trip. I used an old Lonely Planet Guide to find some names of places that are worth a visit. I would have loved to visit Santorini too, but it was too far and out of my reach. As I was traveling in my car, I didn’t bother too much with the planning. I was flexible to go, stop, and stay wherever I wanted. I only searched for camping places on the ACSI Campings website and saved some print screens with the locations of all the main camping sites in the region.
Greek Islands Travel Planning – Fixed Plans
Greek Islands Travel Planning – Intentions, but nothing fixed
When I left for the Greek Islands, all I knew was that I wanted to go to the following three islands (but I hadn’t fixed dates for them):
– go to Thasos Island, probably from Kavala Port (there’s also an alternative option from Keramoti)
– also, go to Lemnos Island, but I had no idea from where (eventually, I took a ferry from Kavala, and I was hoping for a ferry between Thasos and Lemnos – it wasn’t the case, though …)
– go to Samothraki Island, but I had no idea from where (I was hoping for a ferry between Lemnos and Samothraki – there’s no such thing, there’s only one ferry company operating from Alexandroupolis to Samothraki island)
Greek Islands Travel Planning – Final Result
The final result of the trip to these Greek Islands, where I stayed for three weeks, is a series of three travelogues. Enjoy your reading and let me know your opinion about Greek Islands. Which is your favorite place in Greece? Why?
Greek Islands – Thassos Island (6-8 days) –
- two days driving from Romania to Greece, crossing Bulgaria (via Sibiu – Calafat – Sofia – Kulata – Kavala)
- ferry from Kavala port to Skala Prinos (on Thassos Island), and beach in Ormos Prinos
- road trip from Ormos Prinos to Pefkari (with lots of detours), via Ormos Prinos – Skala Prinos – Rahoni – Agios Georgios – Prinos – Moni Agios Panteleimonos – Mikros Prinos – Skala Sotiros – Skala Kallirachis – Kallirachi – Skala Marion – Pefkari
- round road trip from Pefkari, via Limenaria – Moni Karakallou – Maries – Limenaria – Potos – Theologos – Pefkari
- road trip from Pefkari to Chryssi Ammoudia (with lots of stops), via Pefkari – Moni Archangelou – Aliki – Loutra – Kinyra – Potamia – Panagia – Chryssi Ammoudia
- round road trip from Chryssi Ammoudia, via Thassos town – Marble Beach (Saliria and Porto Vathi) – back to Chryssi Ammoudia
- ferry from Thassos town to Keramoti, plus a relaxing and writing day in Camping Batis Multiplex, Kavala
The version in Romanian of this post can be found at Insulele Grecesti, Thassos.
Greek Islands – Lemnos Island (5 days) –
- ferry from Kavala to Myrina, on Lemnos Island, and sunbathing afternoon on Keros beach
- road trip on the eastern side of Lemnos Island (with lots of detours), via Keros Beach – Kalliopi – Panagia – Plaka – Port Plakas – Sanctuary of Kabeiroi – Antic Theater of Hephaistia – Kontopouli – Romanou – Poliohni neolithic site – Skandali – Fisini – Moni Agios Sozon Monastery – Moudros – Keros Beach
- road trip on the western side of Lemnos Island (with lots of detours), via Keros Beach – Kontopouli – Romanou – Portianos – Kontias – Nevgatis Beach – Thanos – Myrina – Kaspakes – Dafni – Atsiki – Kotsinas Beach – Keros Beach
- extra visit in Myrina – Gomati Beach and stayed on the beach overnight
- Gomati Beach to Myrina, ferry from Myrina (Lemnos Island) to Kavala, and highway from Kavala to Alexandroupolis
The version in Romanian of this post can be found at Insulele Grecesti, Lemnos.
Greek Islands – Samothraki Island (5 days) –
- ferry from Alexandroupolis to Kamariotissa and then road trip via Hora – Paleopolis – Camping Varades 1 – Fonias River (and vathres) – Kipos Beach
- road trip from Varades Camping 1, via the archaeological site of Paleopolis – Hora – Alonia – Lakoma – Profitis Ilias – Xiropotamos (vathres) – Pahia Ammos Beach – Camping Varades 1
- short drive Camping Varades 1 – Therma – Kamariotissa – Camping Varades 1
- short drive Camping Varades 2 – Hora – Therma (bouzouki concert)
- ferry from Kamariotissa to Alexandroupolis and afternoon at the beach of the municipal camping
- one day driving from Greece to Romania, crossing Bulgaria (via Alexandroupolis – Veliko Trnovo – Russe – Bucharest)
The version in Romanian of this post can be found at Insulele Grecesti, Samothraki.
This is the summary of the three-week road trip to the Greek Islands of Thassos, Lemnos, and Samothraki. Enjoy your reading and let me know your opinion about the Greek Islands. Which is your favorite island in Greece? Why? Where would you go?
Want to subscribe to my travelogues? Just leave your email in the subscription form below, and you’ll be notified when I publish a new post.